Sikhote-Alin Meteorite Pendant
Shipping calculated at checkout.
- Certificate of Authenticity Included
- Information Card Provided
- Tracked Shipping
- Low stock - 1 item left
- Inventory on the way
Sikhote Alin was a very large meteorite fall that occurred on February 12, 1947 at 10.30am in the Primorskiy Region, Sihotaulin Mountains of eastern Siberia. It was witnessed by many people who reported a fireball brighter than the sun that came out of the north, descending at an angle of about 41 degrees. The noise of the explosion was heard 300km away. It left a cloud of dust and fume 30km in length which was visible for several hours. The largest fragment weighs 1.75 ton and is on display in Moscow. The sikhote alin meteorite is one of the few iron meteorites. It has been studied extensively by many Universities and may also be found in several museum collections.
The Sikhote Alin is an iron meteorite, often smaller with well-formed divots or thumb-like indents on them. The pieces are classified 2 different ways. The first is known as the regmaglypted specimen, known for its thumb-printed surface. These pieces show the fusion crust and signs of atmospheric ablation. These likely broke off the main object early in the descent. Conversely, the second type is the shrapnel or fragmented specimens, which boast sharped-edged pieces of torn metal, showing evidence of violent fragmentation. The fragments were either torn apart during the atmospheric explosions or blasted apart upon impact on the frozen ground.
- Sterling silver bail.
- Meteorite in Setting: 18 mm x 15 mm x 8 mm
- Bail Length: 9 mm
- Features a genuine meteorite.
- This item includes an information card about the meteorite.
- A certificate of authenticity is included with this item.
- This meteorite requires special care - due to its high iron content, exposure to water and other chemicals, such as lotions or perfumes, may cause it to rust it over time. If you polish the jewellery, avoid polishing the stone itself. A silver-cleaning dip should never be used with this piece.
*Sterling silver chain is not included. It is available for purchase here.
Any item(s) purchased will be shipped within 48 hours, however most are processed within 24 hours of the confirmation of your order.
We use a tracked service for all items.
According to the postal service, US & Canadian parcels should arrive within 6 business days, international items should arrive within 11 business days after dispatch. Please be aware that these are subject to change and delays can occur outside of our control.
You can view the entire shipping policy here.