Peridot is a yellowish-green stone that is usually cut and facetted for jewellery. The green color is caused by the iron content of the gemstone, more iron means a richer green color. Peridot can be found on Timothy Mountain in British Columbia although the crystals are very small and not suitable for jewellery. Other sources include Arizona, Hawaii, Mexico, and the Island of Zebirget in the Red Sea. It has long been enjoyed as August's birthstone.
Peridot has been prized since ancient times. It can trace its history back to the ancient Egyptians who used the stone. Hawaiian legends called the stone “divine tears”; the green stones were believed to have been wept by Pele, the goddess of the volcano. Another form of peridot called olivine has been found in meteorites, it is an out of this world gemstone.
Some believe that wearing peridot will reduce stress, stimulate the mind and accelerate personal growth. It may also help with anger and guilt and may be used as a detoxifier.
- Set in sterling silver.
- Gemstone with setting: 30 mm x 11 mm x 4 mm
- Bail length: 10 mm
- Features a genuine stone with a faceted finish.
- This item includes an information card about the stone.
- A certificate of authenticity is included with this item.
- This stone requires special care - exposure to water and other chemicals, such as lotions or perfumes, will damage it over time. If you polish the jewellery, avoid polishing the stone itself. A silver-cleaning dip should never be used with this piece.
*Sterling silver chain is not included. It is available for purchase here.