Ammolite is a rare and unusual substance that is a fossilized form of the mineral aragonite. Ammolite comes from the placentaceras ammonite fossil, but is extremely rare. The ammonite was an ancient shell that inhabited a shallow sea that covered southern Alberta, Canada between 70-135 million years ago. While various types of ammonites can be found all over the world, it is only in southern Alberta is where the shells fossilized into the bright colors of ammolite.
Unfortunately, the only deposit of ammolite is beginning to run dry, and fewer pieces of quality ammolite are being found each year. Not only that, it is a specimen that becomes more expensive each year as well. Once the mine runs out of ammolite, it will no longer be found, so get your piece today.
- Box dimensions: 110 mm x 85 mm x 22 mm
- Ammolite dimensions: 24 mm x 27 mm
- Genuine stone.
- This item includes an information card about the stone.
- A certificate of authenticity is included with this item.
- Plastic stand included
- This stone requires special care - exposure to water and other chemicals, such as cleaning products or aerosols, will damage it over time. If you polish the stone, use a dry cloth only, or an air duster that does not contain any disinfectant or other chemicals.
Common misspelling: ammalite, armmalite, amolite, ammonite
** Email us at email@example.com if you would like to have a video of this piece of ammolite. Ammolite can be quite tricky to photograph, for it changes colors depending on the light and angle.