Campo del cielo was a very large meteorite fall, it is theorized to be a large piece that broke up when entering the atmosphere, some 4000 to 6000 years ago. Campo del cielo means field of the sky or heaven, which is a very appropriate name. This meteorite was first discovered in 1576, the meteorite fragments have been found over a large area, both inside and outside of craters. Most Campo pieces come from Argentina, although some very recent finds suggest fragments may be found as far away as Peru. This is one of the few iron meteorites. It has been studied extensively by many Universities and may also be found in several museum collections.
This meteorite has a unique crystallization known as the Widmanstatten crystal structure. These lines are shown as a unique etched pattern on the meteorite. This pattern is the result of the meteorite cooling in outer space over billions of years. Although not as finely detailed as other meteorites, these pieces still display this pattern when cut and etched with acid.
As this meteorite is composed mostly of iron, care must be taken to prevent the piece from rusting. Direct exposure to water is not recommended. Oil the piece regularly with mineral oil or olive oil. Do not leave the piece laying around on wet surfaces.
- Set in sterling silver
- Dimensions of meteorite in setting:
- Size 6A : 12 mm x 11 mm x 7 mm
- Size 6B : 12 mm x 10 mm x 6 mm
- Size 7A : 14 mm x 11 mm x 7 mm
- Size 7B : 13 mm x 11 mm x 6 mm
- Size 7.75A : 13 mm x 11 mm x 7 mm
- Size 7.75B : 11 mm x 11 mm x 6 mm
- Size 8.75A : 13 mm x 11 mm x 6 mm
- Size 8.75B : 15 mm x 11 mm x 5 mm
- Size 9.75A : 14 mm x 11 mm x 7 mm
- Size 9.75B : 14 mm x 12 mm x 7 mm
- Size: 6, 7, 7.75, 8.75, 9.75
- Features a genuine meteorite
- This item includes an information card about the meteorite
- A certificate of authenticity is included with this item
This meteorite requires special care - This meteorite has a high iron content, and exposure to water and other chemicals, such as lotions or perfumes, will damage it over time (it will rust). If you polish the jewellery, avoid polishing the stone itself. A silver-cleaning dip should never be used with this piece.
*The first four images are to show the ring setting. You will receive the exact size and choice of A or B as you select.