The trilobite is one of the best known and recognized fossils. The creature is made up of three different parts, the cephalon (head), the thorax (body) and the pygidium (tail). The creature was protected by a hard calcite shell and this is what remains fossilized to this day. This shell would not grow with the creature so the shell was molted away several fossils during its life time. The trilobite is the first creature known to have eyes, some believe the trilobite had 360-degree vision. As trilobites were believed to be water scavengers, living off the ocean bottom. This 360-degree vision came in handy. The elrathia kingi trilobite and the asaphiscus trilobite are both approximately 550 million years old and are both found in grey or brown shale. The asaphiscus has a much larger pygidium (tail) than the elrathia. Like other fossils the trilobites require a lot of work in cleaning and preparing the piece for display. May you enjoy your fossils as it is scientific find as well as a link to our distant past. Fossils are to be treasured and preserved for future generations.
- Dimensions: 80 mm x 100 mm x 21 mm.
- Genuine fossil.
- This item includes an information card about the fossil.
- A certificate of authenticity is included with this item.
- A plastic stand is included with this item.
- This fossil requires special care - exposure to water and other chemicals, such as cleaning products or aerosols, will damage it over time. If you polish the stone, use a dry cloth only, or an air duster that does not contain any disinfectant or other chemicals.