A geode is any stone that is hollow with some sort of mineral or crystal on the inside. A geode with a hollow cavity is one of nature’s most spectacular works of art. No two geodes will look exactly alike and until opened, it is a mystery as to what is inside. Cutting and polishing the geode is an 18-hour job as geodes are very hard stones and are difficult to cut and polish. Geodes may be found in the Northwest Territories of Canada as well as several other locations worldwide.
Geodes are believed to have been formed millions of years ago during volcanic eruptions. The volcanic lava flows left cavities filled with gas. As the flows cooled, these cavities allowed for mineral bearing solutions to enter and the combinations of these solutions along with heat, pressure and millions of years allowed the geode to form. Whatever minerals were present in the solutions determined what type of minerals and colors would form on the inside. Geodes will resemble a potato on the outside, the stone must then be cut to see the beautiful crystals and colors inside.
Legends ascribe various potent powers to the geode. It was believed that the geode may increase physical strength and shield one against evil visions. It was also believed that the geode was a good luck charm and a mystical aphrodisiac.
- Set in sterling silver.
- Gemstone with setting: 35 mm x 20 mm x 15 mm
- Bail length: 9 mm
- Features a genuine stone.
- This item includes an information card about the stone.
- A certificate of authenticity is included with this item.
- This stone requires special care - exposure to water and other chemicals, such as lotions or perfumes, will damage it over time. If you polish the jewellery, avoid polishing the stone itself. A silver-cleaning dip should never be used with this piece.
*Sterling silver chain is not included. It is available for purchase here.