Fire opals are unique in the lush world of the opals. They are often red, orange, green, blue, purple or gold, and are aptly named for their fiery color. The color itself comes from the fine traces or iron oxide, along with other minerals. The "fire" is caused by light passing through the microstructures of the opal that diffract and reflect light to create a play of color. Fire opals consist of silicic acid with relatively high water content, sometimes as much as %3 to %10 water rich iron and other minerals that enter a cavity and form the opal over time.
This opal stands apart from other types in many ways, but perhaps the most interesting is through the strength and durability of the stone. Most opals are most notoriously soft, however, the Ethiopian fire opal is not nearly as delicate as its counterparts while still containing the gorgeous opal characteristics.
Fire opal is said to help one bring about spontaneous action, it may help one to initiate new ideas, be creative and stimulate enthusiasm and optimism, and acts as a magnet to draw in money or customers to a business.
- Set in sterling silver.
- Dimensions: 15 mm x 13 mm
- Features a genuine stone.
- This item includes an information card about the stone.
- A certificate of authenticity is included with this item.
- This stone requires special care - exposure to water and other chemicals, such as lotions or perfumes, will damage it over time. If you polish the jewellery, avoid polishing the stone itself. A silver-cleaning dip should never be used with this piece.
*Chain is not included.