The Muonionalusta is an iron meteorite classified as a fine octahedrite, which impacted the northern Scandinavia West of the border between Sweden and Finland approximately one million years ago. First discovered in 1906, the Muonionalusta is probably the oldest known meteorite on Earth. Since landing on Earth, this meteorite has experienced four ice ages. The Muonionalusta meteorite itself is older than Earth, as it dates within several million years of the formation of our solar system.
The Muonionalusta meteorites have the most beautiful etch pattern. When cut or sliced, the interior reveals perfect Widmannstätten crystal structure. This pattern is the result of the meteorite cooling in outer space over billions of years. Each meteorite is unique and will display a different crystal structure.
Sometimes rare mineral inclusions such as the black mineral Troilite may be found. These minerals are found only in nuclear fusion, which give scientists clues to the origin of our solar system and the universe. The exterior of the Muonionalusta meteorite, when untreated, resembles a rusty bark. Interestingly, some Muonionalusta meteorites are very weathered, whereas others are in really good shape for their high terrestrial age. Surely permafrost helped to preserve their state.
Meteorites are known to assist with spiritual growth, increase psychic abilities and help connect with other realms. This piece is a perfect gift for the dreamers, space enthusiasts and armchair philosophers.
- Dimensions: 150 mm x 120 mm x 2 mm
- Genuine meteorite
- This item includes an information card about the meteorite
- A certificate of authenticity is included with this item
- A plastic stand is included with this item.
- This meteorite requires special care - due to its high iron content, exposure to water and other chemicals, such as cleaning products or aerosols, may cause the meteorite to rust over time. If you polish the meteorite, use a dry cloth only, or an air duster that does not contain any disinfectant or other chemicals.