Iron pyrite or fool’s gold as it is more commonly called, is a very beautiful example of the natural beauty that can be found on Earth. This shiny substance has long been mistaken by man for the even rarer treasure gold; this is where pyrite gets its nickname fool’s gold.
Pyrite may come in several different formations, including massive, cubic, pyritohedra, octohedra, or combinations of the various forms. In rare instances pyrite may grow into a single large cube. This shape is natural and has not been cut. Sometimes a pyrite twin may occur, where it appears that the cube had another cube grow out of it. Pyrite may also form in a circular pattern; the growth will occur in a circular or disc-like shape.
Also found is the pyrite replacement of various fossil specimens. Instead of fossilizing in a normal way, pyrite may replace various parts of a fossil, leaving an iron pyrite replacement of these fossil parts. Ammonites are among the more unusual pyrite fossil replacements. Massive pyrite formations occur as well, sometimes with tiny crystals forming a very large massive pyrite clusters. In some instances, flecks of pyrite may be scattered on other matrix rock or shale. May you enjoy your pyrite, as it is a scientific find as well as a link to our distant past. Mineral specimens are to be treasured and preserved for future generations.
- Dimensions: 65 mm x 50 mm x 45 mm
- Genuine stone.
- This item includes an information card about the stone.
- A certificate of authenticity is included with this item.
- A plastic stand is included with this item.
- This stone requires special care - exposure to water and other chemicals, such as cleaning products or aerosols, will damage it over time. If you polish the stone, use a dry cloth only, or an air duster that does not contain any disinfectant or other chemicals.
*You will receive the exact same item as the one you select.