Pearls are formed when a piece of sand or other irritant finds its way into an oyster. The oyster begins to secrete a smooth hard crystalline substance called nacre around the irritant to protect itself. As long as the irritant remains, the oyster will continue to produce this nacre, layer upon layer. It will take several years to produce a 3 to 4mm pearl.
Freshwater pearls are grown in fresh water mollusks and they are more of a free form shape than other pearls.
Some believe pearls give the wearer a sense of calm and being centered. Pearls promote faith, loyalty, truth and purity. They can especially enhance personal integrity and help with inspirational thought and wisdom.
- Sterling silver 17" threaded chain
- Each pearl approximately: 10 mm x 8 mm x 8 mm
- Length from knot in chain to last pearl: 70 mm
- Features threes genuine pearls
- This item includes an information card about pearl
- A certificate of authenticity is included with this item
This stone requires special care - exposure to water and other chemicals, such as lotions or perfumes, will damage it over time. If you polish the jewellery, avoid polishing the stone itself. A silver-cleaning dip should never be used with this piece.