- Certificate of Authenticity Included
- Information Card Provided
- Tracked Shipping
- Low stock - 1 item left
- Inventory on the way
What is fordite?
This unique and unusual substance is something you will not find in a mineral or gemstone book. Fordite is actually from a Ford auto plant. During the 1960s, the spray paint from painting vechicles would build up on the walls of the factory. Over time this overspray paint collected and got thick on the walls, and had to be scraped or knocked off the walls to keep the plant clean. A worker at the plant thought the striped and layered material was interesting looking so he collected the pieces. These pieces sat undisturbed for a long time. The story we were told was that a few years ago the worker passed away, and his son’s hobby was cutting gemstones and rocks. He saw the material and worked the pieces into the beautiful cabochons. These cabochons, when polished properly, allow us to see the different layers of paint that had been used to produce the cars. This material is said to have come from the 1960's timeframe. Modern technology has made the painting process so there is no overspray, so this material is not available anymore. One can look at the layers and see what color of cars were being produced, some people might even be able to find the color of a car they had in the past. This is just an incredible material with real history! Fordite is a very unique material, it is fun to own as a piece of jewelry, or as a keepsake piece of the glory days of the automotive industry.
- Set in sterling silver.
- Gemstone with setting: 29 mm x 19 mm x 5 mm
- Bail length: 17 mm
- Features a genuine stone.
- This item includes an information card about the stone.
- A certificate of authenticity is included with this item.
- This stone requires special care - exposure to water and other chemicals, such as lotions or perfumes, will damage it over time. If you polish the jewellery, avoid polishing the stone itself. A silver-cleaning dip should never be used with this piece.
Any item(s) purchased will be shipped within 48 hours, however most are processed within 24 hours of the confirmation of your order.
We use a tracked service for all items.
According to the postal service, US & Canadian parcels should arrive within 6 business days, international items should arrive within 11 business days after dispatch. Please be aware that these are subject to change and delays can occur outside of our control.
You can view the entire shipping policy here.