Tektites are an unusual formation. The name comes from the Greek "tektos" meaning melted. Tektites have long been a mystery, and many theories brought forward to explain what they are. Tektites were thought to be sand vitrified by lightning, or tears shed my comets, or even pieces of the moon torn up by meteorites that were then hurled to the Earth. They are sometimes called "glassy meteorites" and this is perhaps the closest to what most scientists now believe they are.
In 1960 a careful study of tektites was undertaken. The lunar origin theory was abandoned after man walked on the moon. Today, most scientists believe that tektites are formed by the impact of large meteors on the Earth's surface. These impacts would shoot sand, rock, and other debris way up into the atmosphere. When this debris fell from the sky and came back to the surface, it was superheated and changed during re-entry. Pieces could fall to the Earth hundreds of miles from the impact site.
Tektites are very beautiful; they are an out of this world creation. Many find them useful during meditation because they are imbued with the energy of the Earth, and the energy of the astral.
- Set in sterling silver
- Size 7 ring.
- Tektite dimensions: 21 mm x 15 mm x 7 mm
- Features a genuine tektite
- This item includes an information card about moldavite
- A certificate of authenticity is included with this item
- This tektite requires special care - exposure to water and other chemicals, such as lotions or perfumes, will damage it over time. If you polish the jewellery, avoid polishing the tektite itself. A silver-cleaning dip should never be used with this piece.